Skip to main content

CF Appointment

Wednesday was the day.  I was rather dreading it because I knew it would take forever due to all the annual tests that needed to be done.  So, I dragged my mom along with me :)  There was a day that she never missed an appointment, but now that I'm a big girl, I go by myself most of the time.  So, it was nice to have some company this time.

The day started at 8am with my oral glucose test.  And of course, my veins wouldn't cooperate, so I had to get stuck twice just to get the first drop of blood :/  They took 11 vials that time...checking my vitamin levels and all the other "stuff" they look for.  They changed the drink from orange to fruit punch! I don't get why people complain about having to drink that drink...its not bad.  Yes, its a little thicker and sweeter, but it by all means in not horrible.  I chugged my 10 ounces and away I went :)

So, from there, I headed over for my bone density scan.  I got there early and they took me right back!  As always, that's super easy and quick.  So then we headed over to x-ray, which I was also early for.  I was called right back, took 2 shots and I was done!  My only complaint was that I was starting to get hungry!!!

My appointment with the CF clinic was at 10am, but it was around 9:30am when I got there and they called me right back.  My clinic always has us do our PFTs before meeting with the doctor so they can look at my scores before seeing me.  I would typically go to the PFT lab, but they have implemented a new rule to help with infection control.  The PFTs are now done in our room we see the doctor.  One less place to run around too was great for me!!

So, I did my PFTs in my room just before Dr. Forseen arrived.  I'm happy to report they are great (with exception to my small airways)!
FVC - 110% (last time 97%) 
FEV1 - 93% (last time 87%) 
FEF 25-75% - 57% (last time 59%)

The FEF 25-75% is what measures my smaller airways.  I'm still not sure why it is a lower used to always be in the 80 percentile?!?!  Probably cause I need to do better airway!!

The social worker came in for our annual meeting and happily I haven't had insurance issues and don't need much from her, so we chatted for a few minutes then she left.  I didn't need to see the respiratory therapist or dietician this time, so Dr. Forseen came right in.  

She was happy with my PFTs and asked how I was doing on the Fosamax (for my osteopenia).  Had no problems to report there.  She asked if I started the hypertonic saline and I of course said, nope!  BUT, I am in the middle of my off cycle for Cayston, so I would like to start it now.  I wanted to get an idea of my PFTs off Cayston and off HTS and now I have it.  So, my goal is to start it tomorrow.  We talked about my exercise routine and personal training...which has slacked off the past few months but I'm back at it now!

She listened to my lungs and said they sounded great, then we chatted about Great Strides and the CF Education Day.  Due to new guidelines from the CF Foundation, only 1 person with CF can be at the Education Day because it has always been indoors and they don't want to increase the risk of sharing germs amongst us CFers.   Understandable, but sucks too.  So, they are brainstorming ideas about how to make Education Day an outside event where the only limits on CFers to attend is that they can't culture Burkholderia Cepacia (which is a nasty little bug that lives in the lungs - fortunately, I don't have it!)  So, they are thinking about combining the two events.  I gave my 2 cents then realized I was late for my blood draw for the 2 hour glucose test - oops!  So, I ran down the hall for the blood draw then came right back.

And I was done!! Woohoo!!! Mom and I were pulling out of the hospital at 11am.  We went and met Will for lunch, then we had a girls afternoon and walked around downtown Aiken, then of course, had to hit Target!  When we got home, Mom helped me hang some pictures and things around the house.  For some reason, I'm not very good at hanging stuff or seeing the vision, but thankfully she is!   I bought these letters a few weeks ago and was just waiting for her to come to help me hang them - I love how it turned out :)  

Hung these in our bedroom
So, Wednesday was a great day! Got a good report from the doc and some much needed Mommy and Me time :)

Being that Halloween was last night, here is a pic of my crazy bullies as Eeyore and Pooh!!

Sarge as Eeyore and Stella as Pooh
Aren't they cute from behind too :)


Popular posts from this blog

SmartVest Review & CF Appointment

Well, here is the long awaited official review of my new SmartVest SQL.  I don't have any current or updated vests to compare this too, so my feed back is based upon what I like/dislike versus the old and out-dated vest.

Weight - it is MUCH lighter than my ancient Hilrom Vest.  By all means, it isn't light but definitely a great improvement from my older model.  I can at least carry it myself!Comfort of vest - the fabric is much softer and less scratchy when wearing it.Technology - it has a digital screen, so I can set the time and know for sure how long I'm using it (the old one had a knob to turn).  Also, I can set different programs based on how long I want to use it, etc.  It's quieter!!  Will still doesn't enjoy watching TV with me while I vest, but I don't have to turn the TV to its max volume!  And, the dogs aren't scared of this one as much!There is only 1 I'm not tangled up :)And it comes with a rolling case (that looks like a re…


My little bully babies are growing up.  Sarge & Stella turned 6 at the beginning of July and T-Bone turned 8 at the end of July.

We celebrated Sarge & Stella's birthday at home with some special treats from the local pet store.  T-Bone got to be at his favorite place on his birthday (our cabin in WV).  Unfortunately I was a bad dog mom and forgot his birthday hat and treat, but he got extra loving and sang to multiple times.

T-Bone had his bi-annual check up just before his birthday and had a good report.  We are changing his eyedrops due to the formula change in what he was using - it was making his eyes red and itchy. And then, in his ear (not the one that just had surgery) we noticed a tick like thing in one of the folds. He got very irritated with us when we messed with it, so thankfully his appointment was the next day, so I figured I'd let them piss him off.  Turns out, its not a tick.  The vet said it looked just like the mass that he saw in his other ear cana…

Farewell 34

I can't believe my birthday is tomorrow!  My #35daysofdonating challenge has been so fun and rewarding - it feels like it went by so fast.  I loved receiving input from my friends and family about organizations that mean something to them.  I even learned about organizations I didn't know existed.  In the last 34 days (35 tomorrow) I hope I've made a difference somewhere.  I know I didn't get to donate to all the suggested places, and I'm sorry if I missed one you wanted!  I wish funds were endless and I could do this every day forever!!!

You can check out my list of recipients here.

To recap my 34th year on this are some pictures of my favorite moments.

Our North Dakota Trip
Having my sisters (and family) visit camp for the 1st time
The West Virginia State Fair
More family camp visits
Taking my pups on walks at camp

Spending Christmas with our families

Celebrating my brother-in-laws 40th birthday
Visiting South Padre Island and Mexico

Vegas - Justin…