Skip to main content

Pupdate: T-Bone Surgery

Well, my boy had surgery!  I took him to Athens, GA on Monday, April 10th for his consultation.  They went over the procedure and all that good stuff.  He was to have a CT scan that afternoon to get a better look at the ear canal and make sure that there was nothing else going on in the ear.  I kissed my boy goodbye and headed back home.

Side note - I held it together while I was in the office, but totally lost it when I got in the car.  πŸ˜­πŸ˜­

On Monday evening, the vet called to say the scan looked clear other than the mass in his canal...which was fantastic news.  He would go into surgery the next afternoon.

Tuesday - They called in the morning to say he did good overnight and was fasting to prepare for surgery.  Apparently, he was a bit grumpy and didn't like being in a kennel, so he was being that got him a few extra walks! LOL  They called again when he was taken back and my nerves went crazy.  We waited, and waited, and waited some more to hear how it all went.  Happily, they got the ear canal out and surgery went perfectly.  He was resting for the night in ICU.

Wednesday - My morning call said that he had gotten sick over night, most likely due to the pain medicine.  They would keep and eye on that.  Also, his left eye (the side the surgery was done) was not blinking.  They were keeping it lubricated.  We knew this was a possible side effect that his nerve could be damaged.  So, we would just wait and see what happened.  That night's update confirmed the same that his eye wasn't blinking and he had thrown up again.  Rough day for my boy.  Expected he would go home Friday.

Thursday - We had a miracle - he was blinking!!!! I teared up hearing this news.  I was so worried - he already gets 2 drops a day, we didn't want more.  He did great overnight and had not thrown up.  Making huge progress!! They said he could go home that evening!!  So, Will and I headed to Athens to be there at 5pm to pick up our boy!!πŸ’—πŸ’—

Here he is coming in to see us!

He was a sleeeeepy boy on the way home.

We got home about 8pm that night and had Sarge & Stella meet T-Bone through the fence.  Knowing they would all be excited, we didn't want them to bump his ear.  Stella was all wiggles...which was a huge surprise.  Sarge didn't seem to care either way that his brother was home.

We kept them separated for the most part, unless I was right there.  Poor T had to keep the cone of shame on all the time.  He was so cute though, it just made me laugh.

Don't they look similar?!?! HAHA

Drinking water!
Taking a nap
Helping me do my vest! So sweet!
Because we are mean, and Sarge was so nosey with the cone, we thought we would let him try it on!
These babies πŸ’™πŸ’œπŸ’š

T-Bone went back this Monday (the 24th) to have his stitches removed.  Thankfully, he was a VERY good boy and let them take the stitches out without being sedated! My wallet thanks him for that!!πŸ˜‰

So, all is well in our household and life is back to normal.  It was so weird not having T-Bone at home those few days.  I felt like a part of me was missing!  I'm happy to be whole again!

Unfortunately, T still hasn't grown his hair back, so he will be funny looking half-shaved for a while! He's a bit itchy due to not being able to get his medicated baths, so we have some work to get his skin back to good.

And the best news of all...the biopsy confirmed it wasn't cancer! Woohoo!!πŸ™Œ


Popular posts from this blog

SmartVest Review & CF Appointment

Well, here is the long awaited official review of my new SmartVest SQL.  I don't have any current or updated vests to compare this too, so my feed back is based upon what I like/dislike versus the old and out-dated vest.

Weight - it is MUCH lighter than my ancient Hilrom Vest.  By all means, it isn't light but definitely a great improvement from my older model.  I can at least carry it myself!Comfort of vest - the fabric is much softer and less scratchy when wearing it.Technology - it has a digital screen, so I can set the time and know for sure how long I'm using it (the old one had a knob to turn).  Also, I can set different programs based on how long I want to use it, etc.  It's quieter!!  Will still doesn't enjoy watching TV with me while I vest, but I don't have to turn the TV to its max volume!  And, the dogs aren't scared of this one as much!There is only 1 I'm not tangled up :)And it comes with a rolling case (that looks like a re…

CF Updates

Greetings friends!

I had the pleasure of going to my quarterly CF appointment on Tuesday.  It was originally scheduled for 11/15 but being that my sinus funk is still lingering around, I wanted to move it up a bit.  (the original funk started here)

I finished my round of Cipro on 10/29.  And still had a head full of congestion, sore throat and ears. Bummer.  I thought I was starting to feel better for a split second, but it didn't last.  Thankfully, my lungs were still feeling good :)  We were at our cabin in WV that weekend and I skipped my vest and HTS, but thankfully didn't suffer.

So, I headed in to the doc on Tuesday.  My PFTs are holding stable so that makes me happy!  More on that in a minute.  During my exam, she could see there was still fluid in my ears along with my red throat.  Plus my face was super puffy and my eyes felt as if they were going to pop out of my head.

So, the plan of attack is this:

1) Take Levaquin 750mg for 14 days
2) Get back on my Claritin dail…

Feeling Good Guilt

Having Cystic Fibrosis is not something that consciously crosses my mind on a daily basis.  I take pills and do breathing treatments throughout my day, but I just do them out of habit.  I don't sit down to eat a meal and say, "oh, I have CF, I better take my enzymes".  Instead, I just subconsciously walk to the cabinet and pull out the bottle, or if I'm out to eat, I reach in my purse and grab them.  It's just like brushing my teeth before bed every night.

While I know I have a disease that is incurable.  I find myself just living life and doing the many things that I want to do.  While this seems well and good, it's also unfair.  There are other CFers fighting for their last breath, waiting for a second chance at life with a lung transplant, or being hooked up to an oxygen tank and dragging it with them wherever they go.

I often tell people that I am a bad example of CF.  When explaining CF to someone, I talk about the deterioration of the lungs, challenge…