Why do I walk?

With the Great Strides walk tomorrow, I've been thinking about why I walk.  Obviously, I participate because I have Cystic Fibrosis, but I walk for everyone else.  I walk for those that have just been diagnosed; for the parents that received the shock of their lives that their precious child has CF; for those that fight daily to breathe; for the families and friends of CFers; for the doctors and nurses that care so deeply and strive to help CFers; and for those that have sadly lost their battle to CF.  I walk for a cure.

Just within the past year, there have been amazing accomplishments in the CF world - particularly with the new drug Kalydeco.  This exciting drug isn't treating the symptoms of CF, rather it is attacking the underlying cause of the disease!  Its improving lung functions, lowering sweat chloride levels and helping CFers gain weight.  This drug helps about 4% of the CF population, so its imperative that we keep raising funds so that we can reach the other 96%!

I truly believe that a drug will be found to help all of us with CF.  I believe that this will happen in my lifetime, but it can only happen if the CF Foundation is financially supported.

All CF patients are different and we all have different aspects of the disease that affect us.  CFers fight to keep a healthy weight, take medications to help digest their food, do countless breathing treatments throughout the day, and some live on oxygen.  The battle is never ending - there is not a cure, but these new drugs will make a world of difference to us.

I can't imagine what it will be like to not cough when I laugh too hard or run around outside or even as I sit here typing.  Its really unfathomable.  I look forward to the day where I can just...breathe.

So until then - I will walk, I will fundraise, and I will fight the battle of Cystic Fibrosis.


You can help me support the CF Foundation and Great Strides at www.cff.org/great_strides/cfstinks

Comments

  1. I hear you! I don't think that raising money has ever been more important or that we've ever had more motivation to do so! I have had the chance to start on Kalydeco recently (I am g551d), and while I don't know that I necessarily feel like I am BREATHING a ton better (and I'm still coughing off and on quite a bit), I have noticed some amazing changes. Most notably when it comes to coughing stuff up with more ease and having a noticeably greater exercise tolerance. I can't wait until these drugs are available for EVERYONE!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

SmartVest Review & CF Appointment

Hello?

Pupdate